Skip to main content

Atlas Shrugged - Through My Lens

          I usually do not have a strong, detailed memory of books I read or movies I watch in terms of their plots and story line. However, the key characters and the feeling that it leaves me with, usually stay with me for a long time.  Recently, I was reminded of "Atlas Shrugged" from a tweet by a Mentor and I remembered the feeling of inspiration and disruption it had had on my thinking when I had read it in my teens. I decided to pick it up for a re-read, also curious about a calibration of my own progress.

          Reading it again gave me  a feeling of having plunged into a different age in the history of human progress in terms of engineering , of metals, rail roads and the like as opposed to the digital worlds that I seem to be immersed in these days.  The core message from the revolutionary leader in the book (Refer to the Chapter :"John Galt Speaking") is over 70 pages of monologue and is a stark contrast to micro messages of 140  characters of today. At the same time, the novel interestingly reminded me of that familiar feeling of frustration with the way the world works that one may encounter from time to time and the intrinsic motivation that always manages to trump the cynicism that follows.
                The novel, in summary, is about a group of highly driven businessmen and inventors, including Dagny Taggart, the protagonist, who struggle in a world of stagnation, incompetence  and red tape and are summoned to join the Ideal Leader who then "stop the motor of the world" in an almost   "Unicorn Project" - like rebellion in order to together create a new Ideal individualistic society.  Along side the  tender and delicate details of childhood and of wisdom, the power and shock of the hard-core messages from Ayn Rand's philosophy leading to Objectivism are driven point blank.

            The story unravels in a dystopian world and is not necessarily a pragmatic playbook  for businesses due to its radical and controversial views and hyperboles in the narration. However, when one listens to the message from the characters and what drives them, there are powerful take-aways.

1) Passion, Ambition and Drive for Excellence: One of the most important characteristics of the "heroes" in the story. The protagonist's passion for Engineering to her being's core is described in the details such as how the sound of the train underground gives her a sense of hope and excitement as well as her marveling at the machines and contrasts them with humans.

“I started my life with a single absolute: that the world was mine to shape in the image of my highest values and never to be given up to a lesser standard, no matter how long or hard the struggle.”

2) Lack of tolerance towards incompetence : A do-what-it-takes attitude of ownership to not let any obstacle in the way of progress.  Dagny Taggart shows excellent bravery and business acumen in spawning off to a leaner start up structure to  make her futuristic project (of laying down a rail road with the newly invented superior metal ) meet its timeline, against all odds.

"Those who wish to deal with me, must do so on my terms or not at all. I do not make terms with incompetence."

3) Fearlessness, Bias for Action and Learning: When a new metal is invented, Dagny is sharp to recognize the benefits and brave to take the risk and be the first one to use this for the rail line and the  bridge. She continues to be there for her employees by making them feel safe and giving them courage.

"What greater wealth is there than to own your life and to spend it on growing? Every living thing must grow. It can't stand still. It must grow or perish.”

"He had never known fear because, against any disaster, he had held the omnipotent cure of being able to act"



4) Pursuit of own happiness and the Virtue of Selfishness: 
To me, this was one of the major revelations from the book that made me remember the messages from the story fresh after 2 decades. 
The virtue of selfishness is one of the most radical ideas from the book. Ayn Rand maintains that to be selfish is one of the most finest qualities. However radical the theme is, I have come to realize that the truth in that idea is liberating and beautiful. Paradoxically,  it is the individual's focus on its own happiness (call it selfish or ultimate selflessness, sometimes words do fail us terribly) that really is required for each one of us to be kind to others and therefore collectively make the world a better place.

"Learn to value yourself, which means: fight for your happiness"

To sum it up, the narrative gives a message of  the delicate tango of Perfection and Happiness.   A good book, as is a good friend, challenges you to think differently and widens your perspectives and at times, gives you that required jolt to bounce back. Atlas Shrugged, had, in that sense left a lasting impression on me.

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours." Ayn Rand



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corporate Kshetra

Corporate Kshetra is a corporate satire written in the form of a multi-part series. The characters and the stories from the epic Mahabharat  are transformed and fitted into the corporate world to continue to give valuable lessons but mostly to tickle my artistic bones. Part 1:  https://deepthig.blogspot.com/2023/02/corporate-kshetra-part-1.html Part 2:  https://deepthig.blogspot.com/2023/11/corporate-kshetra-episode-2.html Part 3: Taking shape Part 4: Inception Disclaimer: This is a work of pure fiction and a figment of my imagination. Any resemblance to anyone you know is a figment of yours. Acknowledgement: And yes, very much inspired by  " The Great Indian Novel" by Shashi Tharoor which I read almost 2 decades ago  and  " The Difficulty of Being Good " by Gurcharan Das   which I read a year ago and The Mahabharat TV series on Doordarshan which I watched 30 years ago and re-watched during  Covid Lockdown.

Corporate Kshetra- Episode 1 | Context

      It is one of those major conferences that everyone goes to, in order to post on social media and show off their networking capabilities. The Corporate Guru, Vysampayna is going to be present to deliver his experiences in working with the epic story teller, Ved   Wise . Zoom links are being tested, mic and podium are being adjusted, people are already yawning and looking to get their next coffee. A rather chirpy organizer of the conference, Jay M Jay comes in and ushers in the great  Vysampayna   for the epic story telling. "It is my pleasure to welcome you all to this amazing once in a lifetime conference. Please welcome, The Corporate Guru, Vysampayna ." Applause Applause. Vysampayna takes the stage. Vy : “Such a kick to be here. By the way, Jay,  we should all pledge towards better sustainability and environment friendly practices. I noticed that the welcome drinks are given in plastic glasses . Let us be conscious about  being more sustainable in the next c

Meeting Rhett Butler.

Talked to a friend after a long time and he reminded me about an old crush of mine. I had a big crush on Rhett Butler, was head over heels for him after reading Gone with the Wind. His personality and the perfect romantic picture his masculine presence in the novel, imprinted on my mind, had blown me off my feet . As much as I hated Scarlett O ‘Hara, for her snobbishness, I liked her for her spirit. But I kept feeling that it should not have been her who should have been with Rhett!!! I hated it that a snob like Scarlett got all his attention. My crush on Rhet Butler would have been probably like Scarlett’s feeling for Ashley. (When she finally could have won Ashley, she realized that she is no more attracted to him.) Looking back, I realize how silly a feeling it was because I have come to realize that a Rhet Butler really does not exist, for his very existence will spoil his magnetism. Rhett Butler is like that complicated yet beautiful song which I had imagined myself sing a