Skip to main content

The Cause-Effect Theory



Back in my engineering college days, I was labelled as the person with the ability to make things come true (unfortunately, only bad things) by saying them. It has happenned more than once that I would make a thoughtless comment and it would just come true.
Once a friend(Sankar) was going back home from college and I asked him to drive carefully. He met with an accident on the way.
Another time, I asked a friend (Smitha) if she was scared of getting a shock from the various current sources in the electrical machines lab. We were preparing for the exam when I asked her this and she said that she was not scared at all. She really wasn't but she did get an electric shock on the day of the exam. ( Nothing bad happenned but she was convinced that I had the power to make terrible things come true by saying them :D )
There are more, but I'll limit the examples to two.


Whenever I think about these incidents, I get stuck in a loop of cause and effect.
Could they have been related?

There are 3 possibilities/explanations:
1: Because I said it, these incidents occurred.
Cause - I said it
Effect - The incidents took place.

Explanation: Because I said it, a seed of doubt was somewhere planted in their minds which led to the wavering moment when the incidents took place.
To put this another way, by the law of Attraction explained in "The Secret" by Rhonda Bryne, listening to my words probably attracted those things into their lives!
I have black dotted tongue which is generally associated with witch-like powers according to legend. The fear it might have unconsciuosly intstilled in my friends (who are aware of the legend and of the color of my tongue) might have been strong and therefore, the seed of doubt might have been quite fertile.

2: Because they were going to happen (and I am very sharp to read the signs ;) ), I said it.
Cause - The incidents were going to happen.
Effect - I sensed it and said it.
Explanation: - Though I might have said it thoughtlessly, I may have picked up signs from their general demeanor, which I was not consciously aware of, but led me say those things. For eg, Sankar might have looked tired/sleepy or excited when he said bye before going home or Smitha was tensed about the lab exam, so I sensed the nervousness which might have actually caused the shock.
3: These are noise and there is absolutely no causality.
For reasons attributed to our genetic constitution, option number 3 may not be interesting to explore. Read more about this in Fooled By Randomness by Nicholas Nissam Taleb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corporate Kshetra

Corporate Kshetra is a corporate satire written in the form of a multi-part series. The characters and the stories from the epic Mahabharat  are transformed and fitted into the corporate world to continue to give valuable lessons but mostly to tickle my artistic bones. Part 1:  https://deepthig.blogspot.com/2023/02/corporate-kshetra-part-1.html Part 2:  https://deepthig.blogspot.com/2023/11/corporate-kshetra-episode-2.html Part 3: Taking shape Part 4: Inception Disclaimer: This is a work of pure fiction and a figment of my imagination. Any resemblance to anyone you know is a figment of yours. Acknowledgement: And yes, very much inspired by  " The Great Indian Novel" by Shashi Tharoor which I read almost 2 decades ago  and  " The Difficulty of Being Good " by Gurcharan Das   which I read a year ago and The Mahabharat TV series on Doordarshan which I watched 30 years ago and re-watched during  Covid Lockdown.

Corporate Kshetra- Episode 1 | Context

      It is one of those major conferences that everyone goes to, in order to post on social media and show off their networking capabilities. The Corporate Guru, Vysampayna is going to be present to deliver his experiences in working with the epic story teller, Ved   Wise . Zoom links are being tested, mic and podium are being adjusted, people are already yawning and looking to get their next coffee. A rather chirpy organizer of the conference, Jay M Jay comes in and ushers in the great  Vysampayna   for the epic story telling. "It is my pleasure to welcome you all to this amazing once in a lifetime conference. Please welcome, The Corporate Guru, Vysampayna ." Applause Applause. Vysampayna takes the stage. Vy : “Such a kick to be here. By the way, Jay,  we should all pledge towards better sustainability and environment friendly practices. I noticed that the welcome drinks are given in plastic glasses . Let us be conscious about  being more sustainable in the next c

2023 Reading list

Completed Books The Candy house by Jennifer Egan Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, Gail Honeyman  A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini The Joy of X,  Steven Strogatz To Paradise, Hanya Yanagihara Ageless Body Timeless Mind, Deepak Chopra Novelist as a Vocation, Haruki Murakami  The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath The Metahuman , Deepak Chopra Covenant of Water (Audible) , Dr Abraham Varghese Rumi collections Heads You Win, Jeffrey Archer Like a Flowing River (Re-read), Paulo Coelho Abandoned/ not attempted/ In Progress books  Black Cake - Not attempted Good Omens- Niel Geiman - Not attempted Rabbits - Terry Miles-  Not attempted Until the End of Time, Non fiction - Started sample The Mirror -  Not attempted The Book Thief -  Not attempted Think like a Monk,  Non fiction - Started sample Verity -  Not attempted The Gene,  Non fiction- started sample A Little Life -  Not attempted There Are Places in the World Where Rules Are Less Important Than Kindness, Non Fiction, Carlo Rovelli -  Not